Sorry for the lack of posts - my hard drive died and I've been without a computer for a while. I planned a photo shoot for today, but since I can't do that because I'm out of town, here is a list of why I love paper dolls.
1. They are much cheaper than plastic dolls. To make a paper doll, all you need is some paper, a pencil, and markers (or crayons or colored pencils). A good pack of markers usually won't cost you more than $10 (my set of 50 markers was $7 at Target), and you can make as many dolls, outfits, and accessories as you want. In contrast, most plastic dolls of good quality cost at least $30 (some of my favorite dolls, American Girl dolls, cost $105), and you have to pay more money for accessories and outfits.
2. They are easily replaceable. One of my paper dolls was eaten by my dog back in November, and I was able to make a new one for free. If it had been a plastic doll, I would have had to pay quite a bit of money (of course, the exact amount would depend on the doll) to replace it.
3. I can customize my dolls and their things. If I think a purple dress would be prettier in blue, it is no trouble at all to get it the way I like.
4. Retirement is no issue. Say I want a doll that is out of stock, or retired. All I need is a picture and I can make as many as I like.
5. They are easy to store. Since they are flat and small (none of my dolls is taller than three inches), they do not take up very much space in a room or a suitcase. They are also easy to conceal from those who think I am too old for dolls :) .
Of course, none of this is meant to imply that plastic dolls are not worth having or that paper dolls are flawless; to the contrary, I would love to have a collection of plastic dolls someday, and certain things are extremely difficult or impossible to recreate in paper. But if you, like me, are low on cash to spend on a doll collection, paper dolls are a great alternative.