Thursday, December 19, 2013

Simplest Tutorial Ever

This is not a formal tutorial, just a quick but very useful trick that I just discovered today while working on yet another surprise for you. Regular tutorials will hopefully be up soon.

 Have you ever completed a doll and then realized that you didn't like the eye or lip color? Believe it or not, you can change it even after the doll has been tape-laminated. Here's how to do it. My apologies in advance for blurry photos - it gets dark so early these days.


Lay out your doll, and choose the new colors. I decided to change her eyes from hazel to blue, but this would work with any color, even if the new one is lighter (except if the new one is yellow, but I would be scared by a yellow-eyed doll so it doesn't make much difference to me). Caveat: this only works with markers.


Very carefully, with the very tip of the marker, color in the eyes. This picture is terrible because I tried to zoom in as close as possible, but it should be sufficient to show you the difference between the colored and plain eyes.


Let dry. I hold the face against a lit lightbulb for a few seconds to set the color because it's faster, but that's pretty dangerous so I don't recommend it. A much safer alternative is to leave the doll in a sunny area for about five minutes. 

The best part of all is that if you don't like it or want to change the colors, all it takes is a slightly damp paper towel or makeup removing wipe or what have you, and the new color comes right off. You can experiment with making dolls with blank irises and change the eye color whenever you feel like it.

Hope you enjoyed this quick trick. Let me know how it works for you!

2 comments:

  1. Does it need to be a sharpie? Oh and congrats on Clementine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No, it doesn't necessarily have to be a Sharpie - I used Crayola markers and they worked great.

      Delete

Thanks for reading this post! Your comments make my day and I would love to hear from you. I only ask that you don't write anything malicious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...